Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Transition

At somepoint in my existance,i made self evident changes,transitions in my perceptions.From one person/mentality,to another almost(and quite literally,once)overnight...
FIRST, for all of us was the notable step from youg'un to grown up...at the point i started fendin' for myself(at 16),having only what i could provide for myself...rude awakening...dysfunctional family,no educational options(college=$)...transient lifestyle,livin' and workin' with close friends and extended family,close to my HS...Never took charity,i'll say it again,NEVER...Traded labor for living,did 'chores',helped with whatever i could to show gratitude...got a job,GED,paid rent where chores weren't an option...I bought my own school/work clothes,own food/lunches,saved my $,got an apartment with my new girlfriend,who had just turned 18,i was 17 (She is my wife today, together at the quarter century mark)...If i(we) wanted it,i(we) worked and saved for it...
SECOND...worked and saved for it...we both had two jobs,saving money for the house in the 'burbs',10% down payment was kinda the standard then...we had our first house,new cars,new 'toys' all at twenty years old...heard a hundred times,"how do you have all this 'stuff' at 20,you sellin' drugs or sumthin' " ?...after a few of them recovered from the tears that accompany a swift punch in the nose...they heard "BECAUSE I WORKED AND SAVED FOR IT ASSHOLE"...had savings,had income,didn't have a credit card,only 'notes' i carried month to month were house,and car payments.Had plenty of savings,untouched equity,paid for 'toys'...
THIRD...Became lazy...became a 'sheeple'...quit my second job,quit doing side work,wife quit her second job,had children,and all that entails...One of the very good things that came from this period of 'spoilage' was the 'toys'(for both the young'uns,and me...)and,ironically,the 'toys' for me are still mine to this day(at least the best portion thereof)...Savings gone,still had plenty of equity and collateral(for those too young to know,something worth money,in order to aquire more money...lol...) financed it all,new 'toys',electronics,furniture,more land,more...More...MORE...Credit Cards were the next worms out of the can...

Stay tuned...gotta go get some air.

1 comment:

Shy Wolf said...

But, My OH my, Ken- weren't those the best of days? Working for what you got, 'earning' those toys rather than getting them from Uncle Sugar, knowing that what you surveyed is yours from sweat, faith and perseverance? Got to love those days, though I, for one, often do regret having my head up that fifth point of contact.
Shy